Travel Information


Please make your own airfare arrangements for studying at GT-Shenzhen. The closest international airports are Hong Kong (HKG) and Guangzhou (CAN). Shenzhen Airport (SZX) is a domestic airport with daily direct flights to most large Chinese cities. You can check with your favorite airline, travel agent, or online services such as Travelocity, Expedia. Some travel consolidators specialize in Asian travel and may offer significantly discounted airfares to Shenzhen.

Once in China, it will be easy to make domestic travel arrangements via CTrip, which is the Chinese equivalent of Travelocity or Expedia. The GT-Shenzhen office can help with ticket ordering and delivery for visiting international students.

We have made arrangements with a reputable visa service in Houston to serve your visa needs. Please email if you have any questions about your visa application or your passport/visa situation is more complicated

Registration with the embassy – for your safety and protection.

Visa Application

Your visa application package should consist of:

  • Current, valid, and actual passport. The passport must have at least six (6) months of validity left and at least one blank page left.
  • One completed visa application form and photo. (Please be sure to use the new visa form version v.2013 ( You must type your answers on the form. The only handwritten part is your signature and the date.)
  • One completed job description form (if working with a company prior to admission)
  • Payment
  • Documents that GTSI provided for your X1 visa application
  • Other documents that are required by your local Chinese Consulate

Please note that X1 visa is usually issued for one entry. Students with X1 visa must register at local public security bureau within 30 days of arrival, where the Chinese Residence Permit will be issued to replace X1 visa.

Register With U.S. Consulate

The nearest U.S. Consulate to Georgia Tech-Shenzhen is located in Guangzhou, China. The Consulate is able to provide services to U.S. citizens, including passport requests.
During an emergent situation, American citizens should contact the after hours calling number for American citizen-related emergencies at (010) 8531-4000 and (011-86-10) 8531-4000 from the U.S. For non-emergencies, individuals may seek information on U.S. Citizen Services on the Embassy’s website:

U.S. Citizens Services Guangzhou
Address: 43 Hua Jiu Road, Zhujiang New Town, Tianhe District, Guangzhou, China 510623
(020) 3814-5775, within China
(011-86-20) 3814-5775, from the U.S.
Fax: (86-20) 3814-5572

If you travel to Honk Kong and are in an emergency, please call 2523-9011 or visit Emergency Contact Information for U.S. Citizens The website for U.S. Citizens Services in Honk Kong is:

Address: 26 Garden Road, Central, Hong Kong
Tel: 2841-2211(office hours); 2523-9011(after office hours)
Fax: 2845-4845

Students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents can create an account and enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP, to get travel advisory updated for both Guangzhou and Hong Kong. You’ll need to sign up to receive updates for both locations separately.


Health Information for Travelers to East Asia

Georgia Tech Health Services Medical/Travel Clinic